Code Enforcement FAQs

Since junk material is not allowed on my property, what is considered junk material?

Junk materials are worn out items, or discarded material, such as odds and ends, furniture, tires, etc… that are considered objectionable, unsightly or unsanitary. Objectionable, unsightly or unsanitary matter means any matter appearing as such to a person of ordinary sensitivities. (City Code § 93.01).


What is considered a junk vehicle and what happens if a vehicle on my property is considered a junk vehicle?

Junk vehicles are defined as those vehicles being self propelled, that are not enclosed in a building or surrounded by a privacy fence, that are inoperative and do not have lawfully affixed to them either a valid license plate or a valid motor vehicle safety inspection certificate and the condition of which is one or more of the following: wrecked, abandoned, dismantled, or partially dismantled. (City Code § 92.15)

If you are given notice for a junk vehicle on your property, you will have ten (10) days to remove the vehicle or you will be cited for having a junk vehicle on your property. A citation will require an appearance before the municipal court.


At what point is grass or weeds considered “high” and in need of mowing? How does the City respond to high grass and weeds?

Grass and/or weeds greater in height than twelve (12) inches is considered “high” and as such is a violation of the City’s Code. (City Code § 93.02)

If notice of high grass and weeds is given, the citizen will have ten (10) days to have the property mowed. If the property is not mowed in the ten (10) day period a citation will be issued. A citation will require an appearance before the municipal court.


Can I post signs, such as those for a garage sale, around town on utility poles or trees?

No, it is unlawful for any person to nail, tack, staple, paste, or in any manner attach any sign, notice, bill or other advertising matter or any other attachment to any telegraphy, telephone cable, electric utility pole, fire hydrant, other above ground utility structure or tree in the city. (City Code § 151.014)