You are eligible to request this course if you:
1. Make you request in person or by certified mail return receipt on or before your appearance date.
2. Have not taken a driving safety course or motorcycle operator course for a traffic offense within the 12 months preceding the current offense;
3. Are not currently taking the course for another traffic violation;
4. Do not have a commercial driver's license; and
5. Have not committed one of the following offenses
a. Failure to Give Information at Accident Scene;
b. Leaving Scene of Accident;
c. Passing a School Bus;
d. A serious traffic violation, which applies to commercial motor vehicle operators;
e. An offense in a construction zone when workers are present;
f. Speeding at an alleged speed of 25 mph or more over the posted speed limit; or
g. Speeding at an alleged speed of 95 mph, or more.
At the time of the request, you must do the following:
1. Present proof of a valid Texas driver’s license or permit or, if you are on active military duty or a dependant, a valid out of state driver’s license along with a current military identification card;
2. Present proof of financial responsibility (automobile liability insurance);
3. Plead guilty or nolo contendere; and
4. Pay court costs and an administrative fee of $10.00; and
5. An affidavit that you are not taking a driving safety course at the date of the request and that you have not taken one that is not shown on your driving record in the 12 months preceding the date of the request.
The case will be postponed for 90 days to allow you time to complete the course. You must attend a driving safety course that has been approved by the Texas Education Agency or a motorcycle operator's course approved by the Department of Public Safety.
On or before the end of 90 days you must present to the court:
1. A certified copy of your driving record that shows you have not had a driving safety course within the preceding 12 months from the date of request for the current offense; and
2. A uniform certificate court copy of course completion from the driving safety school or a verification of course completion from the motorcycle operator course.
NOTICE: If you do not take the course in the time required and/or fail to present the court with all the required evidence by the time set by the court, the court will notify you to appear for a show cause hearing. Your failure to be present at the hearing will result in a guilty finding and a capias pro fine warrant being issued for your arrest.