The City of Harker Heights holds a General Election annually on the first Saturday of May for the purpose of electing a Mayor and City Councilmembers. The Mayor and City Council positions are for three year terms. Find additional election-related dates and information on the Secretary of State's website found here.
CANDIDATE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Be a United States citizen.
- Be a registered voter of the city at the time of filing for office.
- Be 18 years of age or older on or before the first day of the term in which they are elected.
- Have not been determined mentally incompetent by a final judgment of a court.
- Have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities.
- Not be in arrears in the payment of any taxes or other liabilities due to the City of Harker Heights.
- Have resided continuously in Texas on or before one year preceding the filing deadline.
- Shall have and maintain the eligibility requirements for municipal officers set forth in Section 141.001 of the Texas election code, Vernon's texas civil statutes annotated hereinafter referred to as "Election Code" as it may now read or hereafter be amended.
- Shall not hold any other public office of emolument.
- If a member of the council shall, after being elected, cease to possess any of these qualifications or eligibility requirements, or shall hold another office of emolument, or enter a plea of guilty to a felony, or be convicted of a felony he or she shall immediately forfeit his or her office.
2023 GENERAL ELECTION (FUTURE ELECTION)
Candidate Packets will be available at the City Secretary’s Office located in City Hall starting January 4, 2023. The May 6, 2023, General Election Ballot will be for the election of a Mayor, and a Councilmember (Place 4).
- January 18th - First Day for candidate to file an application for place on the ballot
- February 17th - Last Day for candidate to file an application for place on the ballot (must be received by 5:00 p.m.)
- May 6th - Election Day (7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.)
INTERNET POSTING REQUIREMENT NOTICE