The City of Harker Heights holds a General Election annually on the first Saturday of May for the purpose of electing a Mayor and City Councilmembers. The Mayor and City Council positions are for three year terms. Find additional election-related dates and information on the Secretary of State's website found here.
CANDIDATE ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS
- Be a United States citizen.
- Be a registered voter of the city at the time of filing for office.
- Be 18 years of age or older on or before the first day of the term in which they are elected.
- Have not been determined mentally incompetent by a final judgment of a court.
- Have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities.
- Not be in arrears in the payment of any taxes or other liabilities due to the City of Harker Heights.
- Have resided continuously in Texas on or before one year preceding the filing deadline.
- Shall have and maintain the eligibility requirements for municipal officers set forth in Section 141.001 of the Texas election code, Vernon's texas civil statutes annotated hereinafter referred to as "Election Code" as it may now read or hereafter be amended.
- Shall not hold any other public office of emolument.
- If a member of the council shall, after being elected, cease to possess any of these qualifications or eligibility requirements, or shall hold another office of emolument, or enter a plea of guilty to a felony, or be convicted of a felony he or she shall immediately forfeit his or her office.
Running for office:
If you are interested in learning how to become a candidate, please contact the City Secretary’s Office for more information.
In accordance with state law, the City Secretary's Office will accept applications from qualified persons interested in running for an elected office during the filing period. During the filing period, qualified persons may file as candidates between 8:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, excluding holidays, at the City Secretary's Office at City Hall, 305 Miller’s Crossing, Harker Heights, TX 76548.
Council Places 2 and 6 will next be elected in May (first Saturday in May).
- May 4, 2024
Council Places 1 and 5 will next be elected in May (first Saturday in May).
- May 3, 2025
Mayor and Council Place 4 will next be elected in May (first Saturday in May).
- May 2, 2026
Election Day polling locations and times will be shared when they become available.
For additional information about City elections, please contact the City Secretary's Office at 254-953-5600.
INTERNET POSTING REQUIREMENT NOTICE